Georgia Beef Board sponsored a "Beef Up Your Beef Month" promotion and media training for Georgia Cattlemen's Association members on May 19.
Here's some ideas taken from the chapter roundtable discussion on how YOUR association can spread the word about our favorite protein!
- Marquees are great eye-catchers: Use at a local business or farm bureau
- Host a Beef Day for a local summer camp or vacation Bible school where students learn about cooking, nutrition and food safety
- Have a Hamburger Day or ribeye steak sandwich sale
- Visit a local festival: Ring a cowbell as you walk around and hand out recipe brochures!
- Start a local CattleWomen's chapter -- the women will talk more!
- Bring a live calf to a local library or camp to teach about beef
- Send your junior members to senior centers to talk about beef
- Help sponsor a "Cowboys for Jesus" vacation Bible school theme
- Help local Girl Scouts get their Beef badge
- Bring cattlemen to cookouts and other events: People like to put a face with their beef
- Have booths at Farmer's Markets, whether it's to sponsor a specific local farmer's product or the association
- Get at least one member ServSafe certified
- Give out gummy hamburgers to kids during events
- Do a drawing for a sponsored or donated gift, such as a grill or steakhouse gift certificate
- Utilize members who speak other languages, especially Spanish! They can be great assets if your area has a large Hispanic population at events
- Buy those red Georgia Beef Month shopping bags to give out or sell at grocery stores
- Start a chapter Facebook or Twitter account and share GBB and GCA information on it. Even better, make it a chapter officer or specific junior responsibility to update this regularly.
- Enter local parades with beef floats
- Sponsor a freezer for a local food bank so it an give away fresh meat cuts
- Donate processed beef products, such as beef soup, to food pantries. These are easier for people to prepare than fresh beef at times.
- Sponsor banners and concessions at high school sporting events, and grill hamburgers to sell!
Whatever your chapter does to promote BEEF throughout June Beef Month (or any other time of the year!) be sure to send us pictures and a short write-up so we can include them on our social media pages, website and the Georgia Cattleman magazine.